Monday, March 24, 2008

The Cleanse: Favorite Quotes

“i found god in myself
& i loved her/i loved her fiercely“ --ntozake shange

“Remember the ladies. Remember all men would be tyrants if they could.“ --Abigail Adams

“Lifting As We Climb.“ --NACW motto

“We though, our ethic is, every man for himself. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Me, me ,me, me, me. And if you’re poor, the hell with you. We want to punish them for being poor, I don’t know what our problem is. I don’t know what this is about up, we just – that so many Americans think that the way to deal with poverty is to punish those who sadly happen to be in that situation. And as a result I think that we are a worse country as a result of it. And we create this climate of violence by this very mean spiritedness that we allow those in power to exert on those who are the less fortunate.“ --Michael Moore

“If you are willing to take the punishment you are halfway through the battle; that the issue may be trival, the battle ugly, is another point.“ Lillian Herman

“Mac, we a'int free yet.“
--Soror Fannie Lou Hamer

“Let them come, these homicidal troops--I am waiting for them, standing firm, with a steady eye.“ --Jean-Jacques Dessalines

“This is a lifeline.“

“I was born insolent, and have always been insolent.“ --Frederick Douglass

“A woman's heart should be so deep within God, that a man must seek Him to find it.“

“Cuz what you see is what you get,
And you ain't seen nothin' yet.“ --Lauryn Hill


“All the world's a stage. And all the men and women merely players.“

“God don't make no mistakes.“

“I'm not here to debate with anyone. I only debate with my equals. All others I teach.“ --John Henrik Clarke

“Sometimes the king is a woman.“ --De la Vega

“History is both a discourse of knowledge and a discourse of power.“ --V. Y. Mudimbe

“I was born an insurgent.“ --Frederick Douglass

“I was born a runaway.“ --Esteban Montejo

“I thank God for making me a man, but Delany thanks Him for making him a black man.“ --Frederick Douglass

“Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want.“ --10 Things I Hate About You

“Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth, 'You owe me.' Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky.“
~ Hafiz

“To each individual the manifestation of the Spirit is given for some benefit. To one is given through the Spirit the expression of wisdom; to another the expression of knowledge; to another faith; to another gifts of healing; to another mighty deeds; to another prophecy; to another discernment of spirits; to another varieties of tongues; to another interpretation of tongues. But one and the same Spirit produces all of these; distributing them individually to each person as he wishes.“
-- 1 Corinthians 12

No comments: