Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Think You're Anti-Racist? Take the Test

Reading this post at Racialious I came across this Adrian Piper quote:

Her observation brings to mind the groundbreaking essay “Passing for White, Passing for Black” by artist Adrian Piper. In the essay, Piper suggests peering at a white person’s features and complimentarily telling the person that he or she appears to have African ancestry, then watching the person’s reaction. She writes:

The ultimate test of a person’s repudiation of racism is not what she can contemplate doing for or on behalf of black people, but whether she herself can contemplate calmly the likelihood of being black. If racial hatred has not manifested itself in any other context, it will do so here if it exists, in hatred of the self as identified as the other—that is, as self-hatred projected onto the other.
I can think of more than a few people (white and Latina/o!) that I want to give THIS test to.

And the post at Racialicious was an interesting read. Go read it for yourself.

2 comments:

ThummyB said...

Please let me know some of the outcomes. I would LOVE to hear those stories!

Kismet Nuñez said...

I am waiting for the perfect time. I already have the person in mind...I'll let you know how it goes!