Friday, May 8, 2009

Link Love Live: Week of May 6th

I'll start slow and I'll try something new. It's called Link Love Live. Below are some of my favorite links for the week of May 6, 2009 (sorry for the hump day start). All you have to do is keep checking in all week for updates....


Wednesday, May 6, 2009

First Lady Michelle Obama speech at the Time 100 Most Influential People Awards. Grab it here. (JJP)

So there is a link between sexual assault and colonization? Finally acknowledged. (BFP)

Binyavanga Wainaina teaches us How to write about Africa.

"Until," Julie Wallace's Queer Renaissance film-making debut, breaks ground in Atlanta this summer. Read the review by Alexis Pauline Gumbs of BrokenBeautiful Press here.

The best of Vlogging While Black. Pick someone new to subscribe to today. (I'm following TonyaTKO now)


Friday, May 8th, 2009

THIS, a protest by students at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, uses space, art, the internet and general youthful insurgency to make a point about the marginalization of people of color at UM's campus. Check out their blog as they work to create safe spaces. Check out BFP's rethinking and support of the protest here.

New Black Man (Mark Anthony Neal) breaks down the power and problem of today's HBCUs as only a man truly in love with them and the black community can.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

My favorite vlogger, Jay-Smooth of The Illdoctrine, comments on Asher Roth's adorably racist tweet--yes, I call it racism, and yes a post is coming on what the heck we mean when we call someone, anyone racist and why not using that word may be less helpful than using it--about "nappy headed hoes." Kismet is not the biggest fan of his latest album Asleep in the Bread Isle (ETA: Name change - Because I clearly had the less than legal copy) and not just because of his pseudo-date-rape anthem "I Love College." After all, if I can sway with Weezy every once in awhile I can handle Roth's self-deprecating whiteness. I just honestly wasn't that impressed with the wordflow. Or the beats. Or the concept. Or...yeah, you get the picture.

Anyway:






(ETA: Apparently others have strong opinions on Asher Roth but I think Ian Cohen over at Pitchfork really pust his finger on why I was so underwhelmed--and implies hwy there is so much damn hype over him. Huge H/T to Feministe)

In honor of Mother's Day, Lori Gottlieb considers the less warm-and-fuzzy side of writers writing about their mothers.

No comments: