Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"The Time Has Come," the Walrus said

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
~"The Walrus and the Carpenter" by Lewis Carroll in Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found there (1872)

I love this poem. When I graduated from Young Chicago Authors, a senior in high school and the only young Chicago author then who identified herself as a science-fiction and fantasy writer, the Executive Director Bob Boone gave me a box set of Lewis Carroll's famous work. Two volumes of Alice skipping across Wonderland. I still have them of course. I used this poem often with my better half in college...but those are other stories...stories that wait for boiling seas and flying pigs.

Another poem, passed along to me by Nunez Mom years and years ago, is probably more relevant:
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
The time has come and gone gente. K.Iris has already departed to parts beyond the nether. It is time for Kismet to move on as well.

No worries. If there is anything I've learned to do here it is to stop WAITING to speak up and speak out. As a result, my digital footprint is now gigantor. To pare it down:

You can find my most random thoughts here.
Find me trying to stay alive here.
Tweet me @kismetfour.

And because I truly believe in the the power of radical woman of color publishing, alternative media, transformative writing and witnessing--

--
Waiting 2 Speak will remain live...an archive of my growth as an intellectual, an artist, a scholar, a student, a community member, and a woman of color.

I hope that any faults and flaws will be forgiven. They are my own. And I hope for myself that I have learned from them and will take what I've learned into future.

Browse, comment, share, etc. I'll still be following along and I look forward to continuing to engage in conversation with you in other times, spaces and places.

Biz familia,

Kismet







3 comments:

K.Iris said...

That was the perfect poem to choose. Relevent in every way to both our lives.

Farewell, love, my sister and friend.

K.Iris

T said...

Aw. Very sweet and appropriate.

Ultimate Blogger said...

I agree,with those thoughts!

UltimateAsoka
Learnabapprogramming.blogspot.com
SAP-EDI.blogspot.com
sapfunctionals.blogspot.com