Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday Speak Out: Barbara Jordan

New series. I'm going to try to do this every Friday--mainly for myself. I am still trying to figure out what kind of speaker and teacher I want to be.

And, like any performance, that means working with what I've got. I look young, colored and female. Now I won't always look young to most people. But I'll probably always look black. And it presents interesting problems when I'm trying to get my students to listen to me, never mind my professors and the wider world of elite (white male) academics.

Still, I've got to deliver. And the best way to figure how to deliver is to look at some examples.

So this week, and in honor of the election fracas, let's check out Barbara Jordan's keynote address to the 1976 Democratic National Convention. (Courtesy)


Click Here

(If you can't here the audio or don't see the link, click here)

For the text version and more details on whozit/whatzit/where, see American Rhetoric.


Maybe I'll do "Baba Food for Thought" next week.....

No comments: