Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Obama the Presumptive Nominee & 10 Points of Cognitive Dissonance

Lots going through my mind:

1) O-My-Gawd! I wil remember where I was when I first got the news for the rest of my life.

2) There's an open thread over at Jack and Jill that I am loving.

3) At the same time that I watched his "presumptive nominee" speech in St. Paul, MN, I was on the phone with my homegirl. African American woman. Her little brother got locked up. Nothing serious but let the cognitive dissonance begin. Obama (read: Black male success story) on the screen. LB (read: Black male mainstream reality) in jail.

4) Forced to watch CNN and MSNBC for the video stream because network TV couldn't be bothered to TURN OFF Law & Order SVU to spread the ABSOLUTELY HISTORIC NEWS THAT AN AFRICAN AMERICAN MAN IS THE PRESUMPTIVE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!! Reminder: Media justice, media access, media privilege, digital technology's role in both.

5) Obama on the screen giving his speech. 5 white male commentators on MSNBC giving their opinions. (WHAT????? See #4!!!!)

6) Looking for the Obama speech on YouTube (trusting in media justice to have it pop up seconds after he completed it) and found this instead:



...and being reminded that we never really (not really, really) saw the kitchen sink get thrown at Obama in the primary race....we are about to see that sucker fly now. As T. would say, Republicans are off the chain.

7) Though disillusioned, continuing to search (key terms: obama nominee speech) and finding:



8) Looking instead at my Google Reader. Finding Nation article and reading the comments that read like so:

Obama will "close the deal" on a stolen nomination with the MI delegates he hijacked. His endorsements from superdelegates have no integrity and are irresponsible.

I will work for his resounding defeat and vote for McCain in a swing state.
and my favorite:

CAN WE SAY "HILLARY ROTTEN CLINTON VP

CAN WE SAY "LEFT TRINITY CHURCH...BLACK BACKSTABBER

CAN WE SAY REV PLEDGER????????????

CAN WE SAY "WRONG REV WRIGHT"

CAN WE SAY "FRIENDS WITH BIL AYERS TERRORIST"

CAN WE SAY "SLEAZY DEALING WITH REZCO THAT WILL SOON BE COMING OUT

CAN WE SAY"WHERES OPRAH'S SUPPORT OF OSAMA SINCE THE WRONG REV WRIGHT SPEWFEST???

CAN WE SAY"ENDORSED BY HAMMAS..& CASTRO BROS.....CHAVEZ &.BIN LADENS ENDORSEMENT WILL SOON FOLLOW

CAN WE SAY "MICHELLE I NEVER BEEN PROUD OF MY COUNTRY AND THE USA IS A DOWN RIGHT MEAN COUNTRY??? WE SURE CAN TELL WHO WAS LISTENING TO THE REV THOSE 20 YEARS CANT WE

CAN WE SAY "THE MOST LIBERAL SENATOR IN us HISTORY THAT HASN'T ACCOMPLISHED A DAMN THING IN HIS LIFE AND IS WHOLY UNQUALIFIED TO EVEN RUN A COMPANY

GOD I HOPE YOU MARXISTS INSTALL THIS FOOL AS YOUR NOMINEE...IT WILL BE A LANDSLIDE EQUAL TO YOUR OTHER LOSERS AKA CARTER , MONDALE , DUKAKA AND KERRY

Did I mention that this was the Nation? The progressive news organ? Look to the Left and the Right before crossing the street Mr. Nominee Barack Obama. Which leads me too....

9) Karnythia via The Angry Black Woman (Visit post for the rest):
The historian in me is afraid, deeply, deeply afraid of what will happen in the months to come. Black leaders that make history don’t tend to lead long lives. Especially not in the U.S. I want to enjoy this moment, but it is so difficult. Malcolm, Martin, and so many others died to get us here. No matter what happens now, another stride has been made and I’m so glad I was here to see it.
Indeed. So indeed. And yet...

10) In "For the Record," Melissa McEwan @ Shakesville writes (same deal--visit post for the rest!):
I'm not sad because Obama's the nominee.

I'm sad because there are women at this blog, in my personal life, across this nation, and—if my inbox is any indication—across the globe, women of all races and sexualities and socio-economic classes, many of whom weren't even Hillary Clinton supporters, many of whom voted for Obama in the primary, who have watched with horror the seething hatred directed at Hillary Clinton just because she is a woman.

(I'm not talking about legitimate criticisms of her campaign, which I have made myself. I'm not saying any criticism of Clinton is de facto sexist; it isn't. I'm talking specifically and only about misogynist attacks, which are always unjustified and smear not just the woman at whom they are directed, but all women.)

And these women have witnessed this despicable but spectacular marriage of aggressive misogyny and their long-presumed allies' casual indifference to it, and wondered what fucking planet they were on that dehumanizing eliminationist rhetoric, to which lefty bloggers used to object once upon a time, was now considered a legitimate campaign strategy, as long as it was aimed at a candidate those lefty bloggers didn't like.
Between Karnythia and Melissa, the intersection of race, class and sex lives on....

1 comment:

T said...

One of my favorite posts homie.