Monday, November 3, 2008

Ready for the Global House Party?

My prayers to the Obamas. For all of the obvious reasons, but at this particular moment in honor of Madelyn Dunham, Obama's grandmother. She raised him. She almost made it. En respeto.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Gratuitious Geek Moment for you:

There is a scene at the end of the revamped and re-released Star Wars Episode VI, better known as Star Wars 3 before the infamous Sith appeared and George Lucas blessed us with a sexy young fellow named Hayden Christiansen...

I digress.

There is a scene at the end of that movie where fireworks are going off all around the galaxy because the Death Star has been destroyed. Music is blasting, little writing blurs of people (aliens, animals, etc.) are dancing, and it is basically a universe-wide house party.

(Are you done snickering at me now? Can I continue? Anyway....)

That is what it will be like if Obama wins.

A global house party.

I am nervous. Anxious. I feel like I want to cry one minute and vomit the next. I am volunteering tomorrow after work because if I sit still and watch the numbers roll in without doing stuff, I may lose my mind.

But I want to dance in a global house party. I am hoping tomorrow is the day.

Either way, this campaign has done amazing things. The people who have volunteered on the phones, who have canvassed, who have traveled miles from home, and who have founded local organizations, who have given money because they didn't have time, who have registered voters, who have endured long lines, racial slurs, cold and rain--they are phenomenal. This is their campaign and, hopefully, their victory.

Whichever candidate is elected president, watching this unfold has restored my faith in people. I needed this campaign even more than I need the future president.

This election season awakened something amazing in the people of this country, and the world, which they will have to contend with in January. And if it is you, Barack, then know that we support you, rock with you, and have your back--but we are ON your back as well. We are holding you accountable. You talk good game. Bring it.

I can't wait to tell my daughter where I was when.....

4 comments:

ThummyB said...

Are you ready to dance, homie? I sure am. I'm going to be up watching the results until I pass out. Darn, I wish that I had the mind to take today and tomorrow off work.

Kismet Nuñez said...

Dude.

I am a frantic mess. I am way up and then I'm a bundle of nerves and then I'm down with worry.

I love it. I voted for Barack Obama. As far as I'm concerned, I've already made history. Whatever happens tonight.

But....it would be SO AWESOME IF HE BECOMES PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

::all out fainting from the excitement::

Kismet Nuñez said...

ooh! your avatar is cute too!

ThummyB said...

YES YES YES!!! I keep emailing Ti like "OMG! Is this really happening! I'm so excited! I'm so nervous!"

Thanks for the compliment on the avatar, too ;-)